Cheese Category Finalists Announced For Record-Setting 2014 Good Food Awards
San Francisco, CA—About two dozen cheeses from across the US have been selected as finalists for 2014 Good Food Awards.
Chosen from among the finalists will be 100 Good Food Award Winners across 10 categories, including cheese, beer, charcuterie, chocolate, coffee, confections, oils, preserves, pickles and spirits.
Winners will be announced Jan. 16 at a special awards ceremony here, and awards will be presented by renowned chef Alice Waters.
This year’s competition drew 1,450 entries – double the amount since the contest launched in 2009.
In order to be eligible for a Good Food Award, cheese entries must meet the following criteria: made with milk from animals raised using food animal husbandry with access to the outdoors; made without the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, or fertilizers on pastures; made without hormones or sub-therapeutic antibiotics; made with rBGH-free milk; and made with other ingredients, such as rennet, starter cultures, herbs and washes, produced in the same spirit without the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, or fertilizers.
Cheese entries must fit within one of the following: Fresh, Semi-Soft, Semi-Hard or Hard.
This year’s list of cheese category finalists includes:
• Ancient Heritage Dairy, Hannah & Adelle, Madras, OR
• Avalanche Cheese Company, Cabra Blanca & Goat Cheddar & Midnight Blue, Basalt, CO
• Barinaga Ranch Inc., Txiki, Marshall, CA
• Bellwether Farms, Whole Milk Ricotta & Carmody, Sebastopol. CA
• Blackberry Farm, Downer Brown & Magnolia, Wayland, TN
• Briar Rose Creamery, Lorelei, Dundee, OR
• Canal Junction Farmstead Cheese, Charloe, Defiance, OH
• Capriole Inc., Julianna, Greenville, IN
• Caves of Faribault, St. Pete’s Select Blue Cheese & Jeff’s Select, Faribault, MN
• Central Coast Creamery, Holey Cow, Paso Robles, CA
• Consider Bardwell Farm, Pawlet, West Pawlet, VT
• Cowgirl Creamery, Red Hawk, Point Reyes Station, CA
• Farms for City Kids Foundation, Tarentaise, Reading, VT
• Flat Creek Farm & Dairy, Montazzio, Hogansville, GA
• Glendale Shepherd, Island Brebis, Whidbey Island, WA
• Goldin Artisan Goat Cheese LLC, Pur et Simple, Molalla, OR
• Jacobs and Brichford Farmstead Cheese, Everton & Briana & Arabella, Connersville, IN
• Nature’s Harmony Farm, Georgia Gold Clothbound Cheddar & Elberton Blue Cheese, Elberton, GA
• Old Chatham Sheepherding Company, Ewe’s Blue & Nancy’s Camembert, Chatham, NY
•Pennyroyal Farm, Laychee, Boonville, CA
• Point Reyes Cheese, Toma, Point Reyes Station, CA
• Portland Creamery, Oregon Chevre, Portland, OR
• Pure Luck Farm, Hopelessly Bleu & Basket Molded Chevre & June’s Joy, Dripping Springs, TX
• Sequatchie Cove Creamery, Dancing Fern, Sequatchie, TN
• Sprout Creek Farm, Madeleine, Poughkeepsie, NY
•Uplands Cheese, Pleasant Ridge, Dodgeville, WI
• Von Trapp Farmstead, Mt. Alice & Savage, Waitsfield, VT.
The Good Food Awards Cheese Committee is chaired by Liz Rubin, cheese and wine specialist at Bi-Rite Market. Committee members also include Heather Porter Engwall, WMMB; Donna McLoughlin, Slow Food Urban San Diego; Elizabeth Chubbuck, Murray’s Cheese; Jen Dalton, Kitchen Table Consulting; Laura Martinez, California Artisan Cheese Guild; Emily Morgan, Cowgirl Creamery; Emily Shartin, Tomales Bay Foods; and Cortney Burns, Bar Tartine.